I’ll admit that the blog has been dead the last weeks. Truth is that nothing new has happened with the cutter. Oh, that’s not entirely true but nothing really huge.
I felt a great leap in the project when I assembled the fram for the cutter. Unfortunately the makerslide components which I have to order from UK is not in stock right now. I’m waiting for the supplier to get new parts. But fear not – I haven’t just been waiting. As I wrote in one of the first posts I was planning on converting the plastic parts to metric format. That process is now almost done! Huzzah! I’m saying that it’s almost done because the files I’ve now got is an exact copy of the original files – just 3D printed! Also, the threaded rods that were supposed to be 1/4″ was swapped with M8 threaded rod. The bearings was changed and so was the bearing plates.
This meant that I also had to figure out a solution to the floating nuts. I decided to make my own printed version of said nut. The nut is made from a standard M8 nut, incased in a simple plastic body that allows it to move in one dimension. It’s not super tight so the nut can handle a small error in the rod orientation.
Alright, I think you might want to see some pictures.
First, a couple of close-ups on the printed parts. The z-motor plate with integrated 608ZZ bearing and an ‘idle’ lifter plate.
And here a picture of the cutter as it is right now. With the cover closed and open (Just to show a picture more)
That’s all for now. I will get back to writing some more when I get makerslides and V-Wheels.
Oh – I almost forgot. I got cable chains from eBay! They look awesome and will give the cutter even more ‘industrial-machine’ look and feel.